Extendware Master Password Magento Extension Review
The following post describes one very useful extension – Extendware Master Password for Magento. The module provides the ability to login to customer accounts from the backend or via a master password. As a result, you can easily change what happens in a customer account on behalf of a customer. Sounds intriguing, so let’s see how the tool is designed.
After installing the module, you get a “Login As” button on the customer information page. This makes possible to login to customer accounts right from the administrative area of your ecommerce website. Alternatively, you can rely on a master password. Before we proceed to a list of the extension’s features, take a look at what others think about the extension.
Table of contents
- Multiple Login Methods. As mentioned above, you get 2 login methods: via a global master password or by by clicking “Login As” from the customer view page.
- Top Security. The availability of a master password makes an ecommerce website absolutely insecure if it is not stored properly. In case of the Master Password Magento extension, it is hidden deep in the database. Furthermore, the extension relies on a salted, multi-round sha1, so you don’t have to be afraid that precise customer information will be stolen.
- Time-Based Authentication. As for the “Login As” button, its functionality is also completely secure due to a time-based hash. Note that it is valid for just 10 seconds ensuring it is a secure and reliable way to perform actions within a customer account.
- IP Addresses Limitations. The usage of a master password can be limited to certain IP addresses only. There are three ways you can set a limitation: separate different IP addresses that will be enabled with a comma; set a range of addresses (184.108.40.206-12); or use wildcards (262.5.44.*).
- Multi-Store Functionality. The Extendware Master Password Magento plugin supports multiple stores, so you can easily create a unique configuration for each store.
Let’s see, how you can create a master password and configure the extension. First of all, go to a page with the extension’s settings: Extendware -> Manage Extensions -> Master Password -> Configure. There are three sections of settings available here: General, Master Password, and Login From Backend.
The General Section provides you with the ability to enable/disable the module (enable it).
Next, go to the Master Password section. There are 3 options there: Status, Password, and IP Addresses. Enable the usage of a master password (the first option), enter your master password that should not be less than 6 characters long (the second option), and specify IP addresses that will be able to use the password.
In the Login Form Section, enable the appropriate feature, so your admins will be able to log into a customer account from the backend customer view page.
Now, let’s check, how the feature works. In Customer -> Manage Customers, choose a customer and view details.
Hit the Login As button.
You are logged as a corresponding customer. Perform necessary actions and logout.
To test your newly created master password, visit the account login page, enter a customer email address and the password you’ve previously set. Now, you are logged in to the customer’s account.
The Extendware Master Password Magento module helps administrators solve customer’s problems related to a customer account in the fastest and the most efficient manner. As for the price of the module, it costs just $69, so this investment will not drain your budget.