In the following article we shed light on how to increase the speed of your Magento backend. Although a fast backend is not as important as a rapid frontend, but it is hard to overestimate the improvement, since you or your administrators can perform daily tasks much faster. If saving products and categories takes too much time, install the Extendware Improved Indexing Magento extension – the module will speed up your admin by making various processes more responsive. As a result, you will save lots of time while doing different routine backend tasks.'
Magento updates various indexes to save products, categories, and other entities. This leads to a big delay in saving and a decline in productivity. Therefore, it is necessary to improve the default Magento indexing to solve the problem. We recommend you to install the Improved Indexing extension by Extendware, because it reduces the delay by running reindexing in the background. Consequently, you speed up Magento indexing and get a faster Magento admin area.
Extendware provides the following time saving stats:
- If you have a store of 1000 products, the extension will save 1-3 seconds per each product save;
- If your storefront is 10 times bigger (10,000 products), the module will help you save up to 4-10 seconds;
- For 50,000 products, the time saving increases to 8-14 seconds;
- And if you have 100,000 items in your catalog, the Extendware Improved Indexing Magento extension will help you save between 12-18 seconds per each action.
Catalog URL rewrite optimization is another important aspect of the module. And it does not matter if you run indexes in a manual mode or not – the extension will implement performance improvements in both cases.
Note that all actions performed by Improved Indexing are shown in a backend, so you can easily check the number of indexed events as well as time savings.
Before going any further, take a look at these reviews:
- Highly Responsive Backend. After installing and configuring the Extendware Improved Indexing Magento module, you will get much faster product and category saving.
- Catalog URL Rewrites. The module even optimizes catalog URL rewrites – the slowest index for large stores.
- Visible Stats. As mentioned above, the extension displays how much time it helped to save and shows the amount of actions performed.
- Working Modes. There are two working modes: Manual and On Schedule. Thus, you can create a schedule with the help of cronjob or start the processing manually. .
- Even Faster. The Extendware Improved Indexing Magento plugin is fully compatible with Extendware Full Page Cache, so you can fully leverage deferred indexing.
Below, you will find a tiny Magento extension tutorial related to its backend configuration. Extension settings are available under Extendware -> Manage Extensions -> Improved Indexing -> Configure. The page contains two tabs: General and Developer. The first one offers two sections of settings: General and Optimization. The General section allows you to enable disable Full Indexing Deferment and Partial Indexing Deferment. Next, you choose Reindex Order (Process or Event) and specify Ignored Indexes.
In the Optimization section, you can enable/disable URL Rewrites Optimization. Besides, it is possible to exclude disabled and invisible products from URL rewrites.
Under the Developer tab, you enable/disable logging and Magento cron.
To activate deferred indexing, visit System -> Index Management. Here, you can have a grid with all indexes. Select all items by clicking Select All. Find the Actions window and select Change Index Mode. Next, choose Manual Update from the dropdown. Press Submit to activate the deferred mode for all indexes.
Now, we should test the deferred indexing. Go to Catalog -> Manage Products and edit a product there. Save changes. Deferred index events can be viewed under Extendware -> Manage Extensions -> Deferred Indexing -> Queued Index Events. To get the information on indexing, go to System -> Index Management. The queued events in a normal installation are processed via cronjob automatically, but in a Magento extension demo, you should do this task manually.
Extendware Improved Indexing offers the fastest and at the same time reliable approach to speeding up the default Magento backend. The extension has an intuitive interface, so you can easily run all the processes necessary for the performance improvements without any help from third parties. The price of the module is $139.'