In the following article, we are going to introduce you to an essential time-saver – Google Sheets Shopify integration, which marks a groundbreaking enhancement to the default Shopify data transfer method. You will learn the import side of the process and then we will describe Shopify Google Sheets exports in another guide. By default, Shopify relies on manual file uploads, which can be limiting if your updates are stored elsewhere, even on services like Google Sheets or Google Drive. To overcome this limitation, we introduce the
Table of contents
- 1 What is Google Sheets
- 2 Default Shopify Google Sheets Import
- 3 Shopify & Google Sheets Integration Benefits
- 4 How to import Google Sheets files to Shopify
- 5 Other Features
What is Google Sheets
Google Sheets is a widely used spreadsheet application with a host of compelling features. This versatile tool is not only free but also highly user-friendly. You can access it via the web or as a mobile app on both Android and iOS platforms. And it’s also available as a desktop application for Google’s ChromeOS.
One remarkable advantage of Google Sheets is its compatibility with Microsoft Excel file formats. This means you can effortlessly upload any Excel file to your Google Drive and quickly convert it into a Google Sheets table with just a few clicks.
Google Sheets offers powerful collaboration and real-time editing features. Multiple users can work on a Google Sheets document simultaneously, allowing for seamless teamwork and data sharing. You can track changes, leave comments, and communicate with team members within the document, enhancing collaboration efficiency.
Furthermore, Google Sheets provides a vast array of functions and formulas, similar to Excel, making it a valuable tool for data analysis and manipulation. Whether you need to perform complex calculations, create charts, or visualize your data, Google Sheets offers a range of functions to assist you.
With the ability to access Google Sheets from anywhere with an internet connection, you can manage your data on the go. This level of accessibility is particularly beneficial for e-commerce businesses, enabling you to keep your Shopify platform up-to-date from any location.
Although the direct integration of Google Sheets with Shopify is impossible by default, there are two ways to achieve it. Firstly, you can perform the integration with maximum manual steps but use only the default instruments of both platforms.
Secondly, it is possible to rely on our application to automate the integration and conduct streamlined data management. It’s a game-changer for merchants seeking a more efficient and agile data management solution. Let’s see what the default option is.
Default Shopify Google Sheets Import
Integrating Shopify with Google Sheets, while not a direct built-in feature, can be accomplished through a series of manual steps. Here’s a more detailed description of the process:
Step 1: Export Data from Google Sheets
- Open your Google Sheets document containing the data you want to import into Shopify.
- Navigate to “File” and choose “Download” from the dropdown menu.
- Select the format for your export. For compatibility with Shopify, choose “Comma-separated values (.csv).”
- The document will be downloaded to your computer as a CSV file, which is a commonly used format for data interchange.
Step 2: Edit the Exported Data (if needed)
- Open the downloaded CSV file using a spreadsheet editor such as Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, or a text editor.
- Review and edit the data as required. Ensure that the columns and formatting align with Shopify’s data structure. This step may include cleaning up data, formatting dates, and making sure data is correctly organized for your Shopify store.
Alternatively, you may start editing the update in a Google Sheets spreadsheet before exporting it as a CSF file. It is way more convenient.
Step 3: Import Data into Shopify
- Log in to your Shopify admin dashboard.
- Go to the admin section that requires the update. For instance, you want to update products.
- Click “Import.”
- Click on the “Add file” button and upload the edited CSV file containing your data.
- Click “Upload and preview.” If the update is not suitable for your Shopify store, you won’t be able to update the file: return to the editing step and continue your attempt to import data when all problems are fixed.
- If the “Import products” button is active, it means that everything is okay with your file and you can start the transfer.
It’s important to note that the success of this integration depends on correctly mapping the columns from your CSV file to Shopify’s data structure (Step 2). Additionally, you should be cautious when editing the data in your CSV file to prevent data inconsistencies or errors during the import process. It is a time-consuming process that takes place in a data file and is prone to errors. But you can rely on the Import & Export Tool to establish a direct Shopify Google Sheets integration.
The application not only automates data imports between Shopify and Google Sheets but also provides the ability to apply mapping right in your Shopify admin with the help of presets. Many more features are at your disposal. Let’s take a look at the advantages of the Shopify Google Sheets integration and then describe how to implement it in a simple and user-friendly way.
Shopify & Google Sheets Integration Benefits
The integration of Shopify and Google Sheets offers a powerful combination, enhancing your data management, accessibility, and collaboration, while providing secure and scalable solutions for your e-commerce needs. Here is a list of benefits that come with it:
- Efficient Data Management: Streamline the management of your e-commerce data by integrating Shopify with Google Sheets. Google Sheets offers a user-friendly interface for data organization, editing, and sharing, making it easier to manage your Shopify data.
- Real-time Collaboration: Google Sheets allows multiple team members to collaborate on the same document simultaneously. This feature enhances teamwork and ensures everyone has access to the most up-to-date data, which can be especially beneficial for inventory and sales tracking.
- Access from Anywhere: With Google Sheets, you can access your data from anywhere with an internet connection. Whether you’re in the office, at home, or on the go, you can view and edit your e-commerce data in real time.
- Automatic Backup: Google Sheets automatically saves your data, providing an extra layer of protection against data loss. In the event of accidental changes or data corruption, you can easily revert to previous versions of your spreadsheets.
- Compatibility with Excel: Google Sheets is compatible with Microsoft Excel file formats. This means you can upload Excel files to your Google Drive and quickly convert them into Google Sheets format, eliminating the need for complex data conversions.
- Easy Data Transfer: Importing Google Sheets data to Shopify can be a simplified process if you use the Import & Export Tool by Firebear, enabling you to update your Shopify store with the most current information in a fully automated manner. This can be particularly useful for product updates, inventory management, and order processing.
- Automation Possibilities: By using Google Sheets in combination with Shopify and our app, you can create automated workflows and scripts to perform various tasks, such as bulk product updates or order processing, saving you time and effort.
- Scalability: Google Drive offers scalable storage options, accommodating your growing volumes of e-commerce data as your business expands. This ensures that your data storage remains efficient and cost-effective.
With these advantages in mind, let’s learn how to import data from Google Sheets to Shopify in a way more simplified way than it is possible by default.
How to import Google Sheets files to Shopify
To kickstart the Shopify Google Sheets import procedure, you can seamlessly follow these structured steps:
- Install the Improved Import & Export Tool: Your first step is to set up the Improved Import & Export Tool, which plays a pivotal role in ensuring smooth data transfer between Google Sheets and your Shopify platform.
- Obtain a Shareable Google Sheets Link: Next, secure a shareable link to your Google Sheets file. This link acts as the vital connection between your spreadsheet data and your Shopify store, streamlining the import process.
- Import Data from Google Sheets to Shopify: Once the Improved Import & Export Tool is up and running, and you possess the shareable link, you gain the capability to directly import data from Google Sheets into your Shopify environment.
Retrieve a Link to Your Google Sheets File
You can get a link to your Google Sheets file as follows:
- Open your Google Sheets file and navigate to File -> Share -> Share with Others.
- Choose “Anyone with the link” in the General Access dropdown. You can choose from Viewer, Commenter, or Editor, as per your requirements.
- Hit “Copy Link” and then “Done.”
Now, you can utilize this link to import data from your Google Sheets table to Shopify.
Import Data from Google Sheets to Shopify
Now, you need to create a new import profile:
Step 1: Access the Import Profile
Go to Apps -> Firebear Import & Export Tool -> Import and click the “New Profile” button to create a new import profile.
Step 2: Select File
The “Select File” screen displays. Follow these steps to configure your Google Sheets Shopify import:
- Specify your profile name, such as Shopify Google Sheets Product Import.
- Choose the entity you wish to import. You can choose products or customers. Support for orders will be added soon.
- If needed, set up a schedule of updates to automate your Shopify Google Sheets import.
- Configure email notifications if necessary. You can get near real-time updates for failed, successful, or both types of import processes.
- Select your file format as “google-sheets” (the app also supports CSV, XML, and XLSX files).
- Opt for Google Sheets as your import source and paste the link to your sheet. Also, it is possible to run FTP transfers, URL imports, or Google Drive uploads.
- Specify separators if your update contains unusual separators.
- Configure advanced settings such as stock increment strategy.
- Click “Continue” to proceed to the mapping screen. If the provided link is unsupported, the app will notify you. In such cases, ensure you have the correct link before proceeding.
Step 3: Configure Mapping
On the mapping screen, indicate which columns from the imported file should match the properties of the products in your Shopify store. If your Google Sheets update doesn’t align with Shopify requirements, you can easily replace unsupported column names with suitable ones.
Click “Continue” to proceed to the next section.
Step 4: Preview Results
The app provides a preview of how your products will appear after importing them from Google Sheets. Here, you can spot any mistakes or inconsistencies, return to the previous step, and address them.
Step 5: Import
Finally, click the “Save” button to save your Shopify Google Sheets import profile. When you’re ready to import, click the “Import” button. The app will initiate the data transfer from Google Sheets to your Shopify website.
For more detailed information on enhancing your Shopify import, refer to our “Improved Import & Export Tool Manual.”
The Firebear Import & Export Tool is your ultimate solution for overcoming common challenges faced by Shopify store owners during import and export tasks. It enriches and diversifies your data management capabilities in the following ways:
- Comprehensive Product Import and Export: Easily import and export products with customizable properties and attributes, tailoring your listings to your unique needs.
- Effortless Customer Data Import and Export: Simplify customer data management, including addresses, for a holistic view of your clientele.
- Seamless Order Import & Export: Effortlessly manage orders and consolidate sales data from various sources under one roof.
- Product Properties Mapping and Mapping Presets: Map product properties and utilize preset mappings for precise data alignment with your store’s specifications, streamlining repetitive import processes.
- Scheduled Import and Export Operations: Automate data transfers at your preferred intervals, saving time and effort.
- Versatile File Format Support: Collaborate with various file formats, including CSV, XLSX, and XLSX, accommodating diverse data sources and formats.
- Effortless Google Sheets Integration: Seamlessly integrate with Google Sheets for real-time collaborative data management.
- Direct File Uploads: Simplify data transfer with convenient direct file uploads.
- Secure FTP/FTPS Uploads: Ensure data transfer security and integrity with support for FTP and FTPS uploads.
- Flexible Google Drive Shopify Integration: Enhance data management by integrating Google Drive for your uploads.
These capabilities provide precise control over your data, offering a comprehensive solution for efficient Shopify store management. For detailed information on the product and its features, refer to our comprehensive documentation.