In this article, we continue our exploration into the realm of Shopify and file formats. When it comes to the various file types capable of carrying your data updates, Shopify’s preferences are rather limited: CSV or CSV. You are restricted to this format and its modification. But what if your data updates are stored in the XLSX format? In our Shopify XLSX import guide, we’ve already outlined what to do if you want to move such files to your website. However, what if you need to export products, customers, or orders in XLSX from your e-commerce website since it is your partner’s demand?
If you opt for the standard tools, a series of manual transformations becomes necessary, involving the conversion of standard CSV files into XLSX. This process is inefficient and time-consuming. The more often you need to do that, the more time you waste. Also, the complexity of exported files may add more headaches. Fortunately, our
Table of contents
- 1 CSV vs. XLSX
- 2 How to export XLSX files using the default Shopify tools
- 3 How to export XLSX from Shopify without conversion
- 4 Other Features
CSV vs. XLSX
CSV, an abbreviation denoting ‘comma-separated values,’ functions as a meticulously structured repository of data that may seem intricate to human viewers but is effortlessly navigable for computational systems. In this format, data segments are precisely demarcated by commas, initially presenting an appearance of a disordered amalgamation of symbols, words, and phrases. However, this apparent disorder yields clarity for those acquainted with the meanings assigned to the stored items. The inherent simplicity in organizing CSV files renders it a straightforward format, necessitating minimal resources for both storage and processing.
Turning our attention to XLSX, it represents the sophisticated counterpart in the digital realm, affiliated with the distinguished Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet family. These files do not arrive casually; they are presented in a zip-compressed format, enriched with the intricacies of XML. XLSX transcends the mere organization of data; it orchestrates it with the finesse of tags and other forms of technical wizardry.
How do CSV and XLSX diverge? CSV distinguishes itself through its simplicity and agility, resembling a dependable bicycle suitable for uncomplicated data journeys, devoid of technical intricacies.
Conversely, XLSX emerges as a versatile tool in the data universe. Excelling with complex, structured data, it wields the formidable spreadsheetML markup language and schema. Visualize data arranged in a grid of cells, with each cell functioning as a powerhouse capable of housing values and formulas. The exceptional capability lies in its capacity to incorporate multiple worksheets in a single workbook, thus crafting an interconnected data symphony.
Opting for XLSX over CSV is associated with the following advantages:
- Structured Data Handling: XLSX is well-suited for managing intricate and organized data that incorporates multiple worksheets, rows, and columns within a single workbook.
- Formulas and Calculations: It also supports intricate formulas and calculations, enabling mathematical operations and direct data analysis within the spreadsheet.
- Rich Formatting: This format provides an array of formatting options, including text styles, cell colors, and conditional formatting, facilitating the creation of visually appealing reports.
- Data Validation: XLSX allows the definition of data validation rules, ensuring accuracy and consistency by setting constraints on data entry.
- Cell Comments: It also supports the inclusion of cell comments for supplementary context, enhancing documentation and fostering collaboration between teams.
- Data Protection: Password protection and encryption are the features that add an extra layer of security for sensitive data.
- Data Visualization: The inclusion of charts, graphs, and images aids in conveying insights and trends more effectively.
- Compatibility with Advanced Software: XLSX is compatible with various advanced software applications, facilitating seamless data integration and analysis.
- Automation: It can be easily generated and manipulated programmatically using scripting languages like Python, making it suitable for automating data-related tasks and workflows.
- Google Sheets Integration: You can effortlessly open XLSX files in your browser, converting them into Google Sheets spreadsheets with just a few clicks.
XLSX offers superior versatility, advanced data management capabilities, and enhanced visualization options in comparison to CSV. It is the preferred choice for handling complex and data-rich scenarios, particularly in business, finance, research, and data analysis contexts.
How to export XLSX files using the default Shopify tools
Exporting XLSX files directly from Shopify is impossible. Unfortunately, it is not Shopify’s built-in feature. However, you can achieve this goal by following a multi-step process involving the use of CSV files:
Step1: Export Data as CSV
First of all, you need to export a standard CSV file from your e-commerce website:
- Go to your Shopify admin and choose the relevant section (Products, Customers, etc.).
- Click on “Export.”
- Configure export parameters.
- Click “Export” to download the CSV file.
Step 2: Convert CSV to XLSX
Now, you need to convert the CSV output into XLSX. Numerous free converters are available online. You can also use tools like Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets to open and save the CSV file as an XLSX file.
Upload your CSV file to Google Sheets (File -> Import-> Choose your file) and then export it as XSLX (File -> Download -> Microsoft Excel).
Step 3: Adjust XLSX Structure (if needed)
Ensure the XLSX file structure aligns with your requirements. Manually edit the XLSX file if adjustments are necessary, such as adding specific tags, rearranging data, or replacing Shopify’s column names with the titles your partner requires. Note that you can do that in Google Sheets before exporting your table as XLSX.
Step 4: Save and Use XLSX
Now, you can save the edited XLSX file to your computer or provide it to a third party. It may take much time and effort to convert your files with the help of the default tools since this process involves some manual steps. For a more streamlined approach, consider using third-party apps designed for XLSX data integration with Shopify, such as the Import & Export Tool for Shopify.
How to export XLSX from Shopify without conversion
Our Import & Export Tool for Shopify supports XLSX in import and export processes. You can effortlessly export XLSX files from Shopify by following these steps:
Step 1: Access the Export Profile
Сreate a new export profile for XLSX transfer:
- Go to your Shopify admin panel.
- Navigate to “Apps -> Firebear Import & Export Tool.”
- Select “Export” and click the “New Profile” button to configure a new XLSX export profile.
Step 2: Configure Export
On the “Configure export” screen, set up your Shopify XLSX export profile:
- Specify a name for your profile, e.g., “Shopify XLSX Product Export.”
- Choose the entity to export: products, customers, or orders.
- Create a schedule to automate your XLSX exports.
- Configure email notifications to stay informed on the results of your XLSX exports.
- Select your preferred file format – XLSX. Other options include CSV, XML, and Google Sheets spreadsheets.
- Choose your export source: standard file downloads, FTP transfers, or Google Drive exports.
- If you have a server with limited resources, you can choose a lower bunch size that suits your needs.
- Click “Continue” to proceed to the mapping screen.
Step 3: Configure Mapping
Now, you can configure mappings: customize the default Shopify column titles to meet the specific requirements of a third party. Specify new values to replace the defaults in your admin rather than doing that in an editor after the export.
Unselect any columns to exclude them from your Shopify XLSX export.
Also, you can re-arrange columns in the desired order by using a drag-and-drop interface.
You can incorporate default values if necessary. If a particular attribute lacks a value, assign a default value within the relevant section. The export file will then seamlessly incorporate the specified default value instead of any absent data or the system data for this attribute and item.
Another good news is that you save these parameters and the app uses the predefined mapping configurations for further XLSX exports. It means that no manual interactions are required for the next data transfer.
Step 4: Create Filters
Proceed to the next section to create filters to refine your XLSX export selection. For instance, you can export products per vendor:
- Add a Filter: Click the “+” button to create a new filter.
- Select a Product Property: Choose a product property to define the criteria – “Vendor”.
- Specify a Value: Provide the value that aligns with your chosen criteria – your vendor’s name, such as Samsung, Peavey, Apple, etc.
- Create Multiple Filters: Apply multiple filters if necessary.
Step 5: Save and Export
Click the “Save & Close” button to save your Shopify XLSX export profile for future use.
When you’re ready, click the “Export” button to launch the update, transferring your data from Shopify as an XLSX file.
For more detailed information on the enhanced Shopify export capabilities associated with the app, refer to the Improved Import & Export Tool manual.
The Firebear Import & Export Tool is the number one app to address multiple issues and inconveniences associated with the default Shopify import and export tools. Just look at these powerful enhancements:
- Comprehensive Product Import and Export: Effortlessly transfer products with customizable properties, tailoring listings to meet specific requirements.
- Effortless Customer Data Import and Export: Simplify customer data management, including addresses, providing a comprehensive view of your clientele.
- Seamless Order Import & Export: Handle orders and consolidate sales data from various sources under one roof for improved order management.
- Product Properties Mapping and Mapping Presets: Efficiently map product properties and utilize presets for precise data alignment with your store’s specifications.
- Scheduled Import and Export Operations: Automate data transfers at intervals that suit your needs, saving time and effort.
- Versatile File Format Support: Work with various file formats, including CSV, XLSX, and XLSX, catering to diverse data sources and formats.
- Effortless Google Sheets Integration: Seamlessly integrate with Google Sheets for real-time collaborative data management.
- Direct File Uploads: Simplify data transfer with convenient direct file uploads.
- Secure FTP/FTPS Uploads: Ensure data transfer security and integrity with support for FTP and FTPS uploads.
- Flexible Google Drive Shopify Integration: Enhance data management by integrating Google Drive for your uploads.
These features provide precise control over your data, offering a comprehensive solution for efficiently managing your Shopify store. For detailed information on the product and its features, please refer to our comprehensive documentation.