Today, you will learn how to import files to BigCommerce via FTP. It means that you can transfer data from a remote server instead of uploading a corresponding file manually as the default BigCommerce import implies.
There is a better way to run your updates by enabling BigCommerce FTP import. You will need the Firebear Import & Export Tool to replace the standard BigCommerce data transfer solution and get the missing functionality. The following tutorial will teach you how to import files to BigCommerce via FTP from a remote server. Also, don’t forget to go over our BigCommerce Cookbook for other helpful hints.
What is FTP
FTP is an abbreviation for File Transfer Protocol. It is a network protocol used to move files from one host to another via a TCP-based network. In other terms, it enables file transfers via the Internet.
FTP operates as follows: It establishes two links that connect the computers that are attempting to interact with one another. The transfer is completely automated, which makes it quite easy for routine file transfers. Because you can’t use this method with the normal BigCommerce tools, let’s look at an alternative way that incorporates our Firebear Import & Export Tool.
How to import files to BigCommerce via FTP
The Firebear Import & Export Tool lets you leverage FTP file transfers. Go to Apps -> My Apps -> Firebear Import & Export Tool -> Import. Click the New Profile button.
The Select file screen displays. Follow these steps to configure your BigCommerce FTP import:
- Specify your profile’s name – e.g., BigCommerce FTP Import;
- Select an entity you want to import – e.g., products;
- Create a schedule of updates if applicable;
- Configure email notifications if necessary;
- Select your file format (e.g., CSV, XML, XLSX, or Google Sheets);
- Choose FTP as your import source:
- Specify your host;
- Enable/disable SSL;
- Specify your port;
- Provide a user name to get access to the remote file source;
- Specify the corresponding password;
- Type the remote path to your update file;
- Test the connection to make sure you’ve provided the correct credentials.
- Configure advanced settings: Stock increment strategy.
Next, proceed to the mapping screen. Specify which columns from the imported file match the properties of the products from your BigCommerce store.
Note that the app lets you preview how products look before you import them. Click Save and then Import to start your Shopware 6 FTP import.
You can read more about the enhanced BigCommerce import in our Firebear Import & Export Tool Manual.
The Firebear Import & Export Tool addresses multiple issues that BigCommerce shop owners encounter during the import and export procedures. Unlike the standard approach to data transfers, the app supports multiple file formats and sources, schedules, notifications, etc. Its important aspects that are already available or soon will be added include:
- Full product import and export with custom properties (attributes);
- Customer import and export with addresses;
- Orders export;
- Product properties mapping and mapping presets;
- Import and export schedules;
- Support for CSV, XLSX, and XLSX file types;
- Google Sheets import & export;
- Direct file uploads;
- FTP/FTPS uploads;
- Support for Google Drive uploads.
You can find more information about the product here:
- Firebear Import & Export Tool for BigCommerce
- Firebear Import & Export Tool Manual
- Contact us