BigCommerce is quite limited when it comes to import and export processes. You can only upload files to BigCommerce manually. It means that if your update is stored elsewhere, you cannot import it to your e-commerce website from that place. It is necessary to transfer this file manually. We’ve already described how to import files to BigCommerce via FTP, but what if your update is waiting for you on Google Drive? The default BigCommerce tools won’t let you take the file from the external storage and move it to your e-commerce website. However, there is a way to enable BigCommerce Google Drive import. You will need the Firebear Import & Export Tool because it completely revamps the standard BigCommerce import. The following tutorial explains how to import files to BigCommerce from Google Drive. Also, learn how to export files to Google Drive, and don’t forget to go over our BigCommerce Cookbook for other helpful hints.
Table of contents
What is Google Drive
You may save your files and have online access to them with your Google account. The popular cloud-based storage system syncs files like images, videos, and documents. They may be safely stored, accessed from any device, and edited.
You can open files made with Google applications, such as Google Sheets, in your browser or on mobile. Other file formats need standard software, such as Adobe Reader for PDF files, or the equivalent browser extensions.
Google Drive is perfect for storing your BigCommerce updates because you already have access to this cloud storage, it is easy to use, and you can easily synchronize it with your e-commerce website. Below, we describe the direct communication between the two systems. Let’s look at how to upload files from Google Drive to BigCommerce.
How to import files to BigCommerce from Google Drive
The Firebear Import & Export Tool is your key instrument that enables the BigCommerce Google Drive import. After installing the tool, you need to prepare your Google Drive folder. Next, import data from Google Drive to Your BigCommerce website. Below, we explain these steps in more detail.
Prepare your Google Drive storage
First of all, you need to create a new folder on your Google Drive:
- Hit the New button on the left. You need to stay on the Google Drive main page.
- Choose New Folder.
- Name your folder “shopware-import-export” and click Create. Yes, “shopware-import-export” for BigCommerce. Since our tool also works with Shopware, you can have the same folder for both systems.
Next, move your update to the shopware-import-export folder:
- Open the context menu;
- Click Organize;
- Click Move;
- Select the shopware-import-export and click Move.
Now, you are ready to import your update from Google Drive to BigCommerce.
Configure a new import profile
Go to Apps -> My Apps -> Firebear Import & Export Tool -> Import. Click the New Profile button.
The Select file screen displays. Follow these steps to configure your BigCommerce Google Drive import:
- Specify your profile’s name, such as BigCommerce Google Drive Import;
- Select an entity you want to import, such as products;
- Create a schedule of updates;
- Configure email notifications;
- Select your file format. The app supports CSV, XML, XLSX, and Google Sheets;
- Choose Google Drive as your import source (you can also import data to Big Commerce via FTP or from Google Sheets):
- Let the Firebear Import & Export Tool access your storage – enable all permissions;
- Specify a full file name with its extension, e.g., “BC product-export-31296.csv”;
- Note that your fill will be imported from the “shopware-import-export” folder;
- Specify separators or let our app detect delimiters automatically;
- Configure advanced settings: stock increment strategy.
Click Continue to proceed to the mapping screen. Specify which columns from the imported file should match the properties of the products from your BigCommerce store. If you didn’t specify separators correctly, the import process may fail. You will be informed. Use automated delimiter detection from the previous step to import data correctly.
Note that the app lets you preview how products will look after you match the attributes. You can see the first three products on the preview page:
Next, click the Save button to save your BigCommerce Google Drive import profile. When you click the Import button, the app launches the update transferring your data file from Google Drive to BigCommerce.
You can read more about the enhanced BigCommerce import in our Firebear Import & Export Tool Manual.
BigCommerce business owners have the potential to handle a variety of concerns related to import and export operations with the help of the Firebear Import & Export Tool. The software solution offers different file formats and sources, scheduling, notifications, etc., in contrast to the default data transfer tool. Its key components, which are currently accessible or will be added shortly, are as follows:
- Full product import and export with custom properties (attributes);
- Customer import and export with addresses;
- Orders export;
- Product properties mapping and mapping presets;
- Import and export schedules;
- Support for CSV, XLSX, and XLSX file types;
- Google Sheets import & export;
- Direct file uploads;
- FTP/FTPS uploads;
- Support for Google Drive uploads.
You can find more information about the product here:
- Firebear Import & Export Tool for BigCommerce
- Firebear Import & Export Tool Manual
- Contact us