Do you know that it is possible to import and export credit memos between Magento 2 and Oracle NetSuite? In the following article, we broach this question, continuing our exploration of the Magento 2 NetSuite integration. Besides, we shed light on how credit memos are represented in both systems.
Table of contents
Magento 2 Credit Memos
Under a credit memo, Magento 2 or other systems understand a document that displays the amount available to a customer for a full or partial refund. As a shopper, you can apply the amount toward a purchase. Alternatively, it is possible to get a cache refund.
As a store manager, you get the ability to print a credit memo for any single order. However, doing that for multiple orders in a batch is possible too. You need to generate it for the order before creating a physical copy.
All credit memos are available in a grid under Sales -> Credit Memos. The screen lists all the records issued to customers.
As you can see, it is even possible to export credit memos from Magento 2 here. However, we don’t recommend you to do that since the default data transfer solutions are bound to numerous limitations that dramatically perplex the Magento 2 NetSuite integration.
As for the associated refunds, their methods depend on the payment used for the order. For instance, if a customer placed an order using a credit account, it can be refunded to the respective account: Store Credit, Company Credit, or Payment on Account. Credit card-paid orders are refunded online by the payment processor. If a customer uses Cash On Delivery or Check/Money, the order is refunded offline.
NetSuite Credit Memos
You can also return an item and create a standalone credit memo in NetSuite. This process partially replaces the default return authorization. Although the order’s quantity is added back to inventory, the value of the item is not credited to the item’s Cost of Goods Sold account. Consequently, issuing a standalone credit memo in Oracle NetSuite can result in inaccurate costing for the product.
Oracle recommends using the return authorization process to return items to inventory. As a result, you will maintain accurate costing, sourced from the originating sales order or invoice. Thus, you retain the link for costing.
As for SuiteCommerce InStore (SCIS), You can freely apply a credit memo as payment here. After being refunded with a credit memo, a customer can view its number on the receipt from the return transaction. As an administrator, you can use that credit memo to pay for the customer’s next purchase.
Also, bear in mind that as a sales associate, you cannot accept a credit memo as payment for transactions that generate sales orders. The latter ones are developed in NetSuite for further sales transactions related to items for shipping or in-store pickup. Applying a credit memo as payment on an unsupported transaction leads to an error. And it is impossible to proceed until you switch to a different payment method.
Below, you can see how to upload credit memos to NetSuite with the help of Excel files:
However, there is a better way to do that.
How to Import/Export Credit Memos Between Magento 2 & Oracle NetSuite
Now, let’s focus on the primary topic of this article – the synchronization of credit memos between Magento 2 and Oracle NetSuite. As we’ve already mentioned, neither of the two systems enables you to transfer this entity in a fully automated manner. However, you can choose a third-party integrator to simplify the communication. But be careful of unreliable connectors that are either dedicated to a particular entity or cannot move data automatically.
As for the excellent solutions, the Improved Import & Export extension takes over the leadership of them. The tool is designed to automate any integration with the aid of the fastest data transfers and the most intuitive mapping features. Thus, you can freely move any entity between Magento 2 and Oracle NetSuite or other platforms.
The extension lets you incorporate an add-on for the Magento 2 NetSuite integration to simplify the connection. As a result, you create a bi-directional API-based data flow in a few clicks. The add-on works on top of the Improved Import and Export extension, so you need to install the module first. Then, configure the add-on and set up the integration.
In addition to credit memos, the Magento 2 NetSuite integrator can handle such entities as:
- Products. Move products between Magento 2 and external systems with no obstacles. Transfer product types, attributes, different prices, catalogs of any structure, etc.
- Companies. Import/export B2B company accounts with addresses, credentials, company roles, admins, etc.
- Quotes. Work with negotiable quotes from Magento 2 to NetSuite.
- Discounts. Synchronize discount types between the two systems.
- Requisition Lists. Transfer requisition lists with product references and other related data.
- Shared Catalogs. Move shared catalogs along with custom pricing and visibility options.
- Orders. Sync orders in bulk with invoices, statuses, and shipping information.
- Customers. Transfer all customer data between Magento 2 and NetSuite. Freely move Customer Groups.
- Prices. The Magento 2 Oracle ERP integration lets you import/export product price lists with various price types.
- CMS Blocks & Pages. CMS blocks and pages are other entities that you can use in the Magento 2 NetSuite integration based on Improved Import & Export.
As you can see, the NetSuite integration add-on enables you to establish a data flow based on import and export processes per entity. As a result, you achieve the highest possible flexibility while synchronizing credit memos and other commodities between Magento 2 and Oracle. The add-on lets you use a cron scheduler and various mapping features so that it is possible to automate all data transfers.
Features to Integrate Magento 2 with NetSuite ERP & Other Systems
Below, you will discover the features of the Improved Import & Export Magento 2 extension that dramatically extend the default data transfer possibilities of both Magento 2 and Oracle.
Automated Data Transfers
The Improved Import & Export module lets you implement two different automation strategies. Firstly, you can leverage cron, creating custom schedules, or choosing one of the predefined intervals.
Secondly, the extension allows for automating transfers with the aid of triggers. You can configure a system of custom rules so that data transfers are launched automatically when the specified conditions are met. Consequently, you can import/export information in real-time right after it is added to Magento 2.
Due to different data storing standards, you cannot directly connect Magento 2 to NetSuite. Therefore, using the default export feature on the credit memos grid is not a good idea. You will have to edit data files prior to moving them to NetSuite.
However, the Improved Import & Export extension addresses most issues of this kind. It lets you automate data transfers by applying all the necessary changes within just a few clicks. The following features are available in your Magento 2 admin:
- Presets. Use a set of predefined schemes to match attributes (including invoice-related designations) of Magento 2 to ones used in Oracle ERP;
- Manual Matching. Apply changes to attributes before transferring any data. You can do everything in an intuitive interface of Improved Import & Export;
- Attribute Values. Match and edit attribute values. You can not only solve issues caused by different data storing standards but also apply new appearances by combining, merging, or changing attribute values in bulk;
- Filters. Transfer data that NetSuite requires instead of providing everything that your e-commerce website can export. Narrow down the selection of information creating filters based on attributes and values;
- Category Mapping. Move products to Magento 2 following your existing catalog structure. Generate new categories on import;
- Attributes On The Fly. Recreate all the missing attributes and values while importing data files.
Using mapping presets with Improved Import & Export is as simple as shown below:
Extended Connectivity Options
Now, let’s focus on the transfer points and data standards that Improved Import & Export supports. By default, Magento 2 doesn’t offer many opportunities in this area, but our extension introduces a robust breakthrough. While the system works with CSV/XML files only, our module provides a better chance. It also supports ODS, JSON, and Excel files, as well as several archive types.
Various data sources are under your disposal too. Firstly, the plugin lets you use local and remote servers. Different cloud storage options are among the available points of transfer. Direct file URL downloads are also possible. And if your partners store data in Google Sheets, you can import it from this platform directly.
As for the Magento 2 Oracle NetSuite ERP integration, it incorporates slightly different principles. Our extension streamlines APIs to move data between the two systems, including credit memos and other entities.
You can discuss further opportunities related to the Magento 2 Oracle NetSuite ERP integration and the role of credit memos in it by following the links below and contacting our support department: