Do you know that it is possible to freely move categories, sub-categories, as well as all related data back and forth between two Magento websites without any headaches and essential time expenditures? You only need the Commerce Extensions Bulk Categories Import / Export Magento 2 module to be installed. Being a part of the company’s Migration bundle, this extension covers several important areas described below.
Of course, you can do everything manually, but it is not the best idea especially if there are lots of categories on your Magento 2 store. The first reason why we don’t recommend you to do everything without the Bulk Categories Import / Export extension is huge time expenditures related to manual category copying. The second one is a human factor and the possibility of mistakes. If you also think that these two reasons are enough to use the extension, check what it exactly does.
As mentioned above, Commerce Extensions Bulk Categories Import / Export for Magento 2 knows how to import and export all your categories with appropriate sub-categories and related data. Meta data, category descriptions, and category images can be easily moved from one website to another within just a few clicks. It is wonderful because you save tons of time and effort.
Furthermore, the Bulk Categories Import / Export Magento 2 module allows you to import categories and category data to your newly created Magento 2 storefront from the old Magento 1.X website or even a third-party platform. Everything is possible via CSV, and you can see the example of a file with category data below:
As for features, they are described further. You can freely import all available categories. Besides, the extension lets you transfer the following category data:
- Name – all category names are sent and used in a new installation;
- Position – even category positions are save, so you get the same category structure;
- Description – there is no need to recreate descriptions;
- URL_Key – even such aspects are considered;
- Is Active – all category statuses are transferred as well;
- Display Mode – this parameter won’t be lost either;
- Page Layout – your current page layout is saved and moved to a new store within just a few clicks;
- CMS Block – all category-related CMS blocks also take part in the migration;
- Is Anchor – don’t be afraid to lose this parameter on a new website;
- Meta Data – meta title, keywords, and description are carefully saved and moved;
- Category Image – Commerce Extensions Bulk Categories Import / Export for Magento 2 even works with category images;
- Include In Menu – it is another parameter used within the module to simplify the migration;
- Various Settings – custom layout and design settings are transferred as well.
Note that images and thumbnails can be imported/exported by URL or from a server locally. And it is even possible to transfer product positions as well as product SKUs related to each category.
There are also a few tips on how to use the Commerce Extensions Bulk Categories Import / Export Magento 2 module. First of all, it is recommended to use Openoffice.org to edit CSV files. Save them in UTF-8 format. Using Excel will strip the format braking import as a result.
The extension has an intuitive interface. All settings are available under System -> Import/Export Categories. This is how both profiles are designed:
It is also necessary to mention that there are two ways of image import: either by setting “import_images_by_url” to “Yes” – “HTTP://www.example.com/image.jpg” should be supplied in the “category_image” column, or by setting the same parameter to “No” – “imagename.jpg” must be supplied in the same column.
For fields and value settings, check the official extension’s page and the manual on it.
The Commerce Extensions Bulk Categories Import / Export Magento 2 module is one of the biggest time-savers related to category import/export. If you want to move the appropriate data from one store to another – pay attention to the extension. It costs just 50 bucks.