Recently, we reviewed the Tier / Customer Group Price Percentages extension that essentially simplifies the way admins work with both tier and customer group prices. The module becomes even more effective in a combination with the Bulk Product Updating addon by Extendware. Therefore, let’s see how the tool works and feels.'
The main purpose of Bulk Product Updating is to make the default product management routine in Magento more effective. To achieve this goal the extension allows you to adjust prices, assign categories, create custom options, and perform other common actions in bulk simplifying and speeding up your product management duties. Thus, Bulk Product Updating rapidly pays for itself in saved time.
Note that the extension not only lets you perform common actions in bulk, but it also provides the ability to utilize new commands while applying mass changes. Works even better with the following tool:
Before we proceed to the module’s core features and backend functionality, check what other people think about Extendware Bulk Product Updating.
- Prices. The extension provides the ability to edit all possible kinds of prices in bulk. It even works with special, MSRP, and cost prices. You can both set a new value as well as change the price in the form of +7, -7, +8%, -8%. Besides, there are such flexible rounding rules as floor, ceiling, and rounding (but you can also avoid the feature). Another important aspect related to the Bulk Product Updating module and prices is the ability to add a value after the price modification. Two the most popular values are 0.99 and 0.50. As a result, the extension allows you to increase all prices by X%, round them up (ceiling), and add 0.50 so the final form of all prices on your ecommerce store will be $XX.99. It is also necessary to mention that you can edit prices relative to other prices or cost. The module lets you set the price to be +20% of the cost. Next, you can set -10% for the special price. Custom price attributes are also supported, so you can fully leverage the decimal type enabling it to be used for the bulk editing. As for tier and group prices, Bulk Product Updating supports mass copying and deleting for both categories.
- Categories. The next section of features is related to categories. You can easily assign, unassign, and copy them. It is only necessary to select products and a category or input the list of category IDs.
- Related Products, Cross-sells, Up-sells. Bulk Product Updating lets you create links for the aforementioned groups of products on the basis of 3 different algorithms: One-way (selected products are linked/unlinked to the inputted product); Two-way (the same actions and and vice-versa), and Multi-way(all products are linked/unlinked to each other).
- Custom Options. If you need to create the same custom options for a group of products, you no longer have to do it manually. The Bulk Product Actions Magento extension lets you copy custom options from one product to another. Furthermore, it is even possible to replace any existing custom options.
- Products. Another handy feature available with the module is the ability to duplicate multiple products for further details editing. Besides, the module lets you delete products in bulk right from the database saving tons of time. Changing the attribute set of products is also among the extension’s benefits. Thus, there is no need to delete or recreate a product to change its attribute set.
The extension can be configured under Extendware -> Manage Extensions -> Bulk Product Updating -> Configure. We recommend you to visit this section first before applying any mass actions. Here, you can enable/disable mass product actions, so the Status option should be enabled. Next, there is the Description Alert option. It is also necessary to enable the feature, since it displays information about each mass action when you apply it for the first time. A good idea is to enable a confirmation alert. Thus, you will prevent yourself from accidental actions. As for the Category Tree option, it enable to show a category tree, so you can avoid manual category IDs input. Next, there is a list of all mass actions. You can easily disable any of them. The Custom Price Attributes grid allows you to add price-like attributes for the further usage as actions.
Now, when you know how to configure the module, let’s have a look at the available mass actions. Go to the Catalog -> Manage products and find the Actions section on the right upper part of the product grid. Select products you want to apply a mass action to, choose the action, and click the Submit button. The next step varies a lot depending on the chosen option.
As for available options, they are divided into the following groups: Price, Special Price, Cost, Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price, Tier Price, Group Price, Category, Related Associations, Cross-Sell Associations, Up-Sell Associations, and Miscellaneous. Such separation helps to find and apply necessary mass actions in a matter of seconds.
As you can see, Bulk Product Updating by Extendware has a very intuitive interface with a set of user-friendly options. The most important thing about the extension is its simplicity: you will never use an incorrect action, since all of them are divided into well-titled groups. As for the price of the module, it is just $69. The extension’s closest competitor Mass Product Actions by Amasty costs $119. So what module is better and why? Feel free to share your thoughts in comments.'